Banana bread. Probably one of the most featured recipes on the web. However, most recipes are made with tons of sugar and white flour which makes it an inflammatory and disease-promoting snack.
This healthy alternative is free of refined sugar, white flour, gluten and dairy but is equally tasty (even tastier if you ask me)!
It’s very easy and quick to make and you can add a few chopped nuts, raisins, or dark chocolate chips if desired. It’s also wonderful toasted.
Tip: I always make two of these and cut one into individual slices for freezing. This makes it so easy to pop a slice out of the freezer and into your kids’ school bag on busy mornings.
Health benefits of almonds:
- Almonds are an excellent source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats
- They’re 20 percent protein
- They’re packed with important minerals such as potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, and zinc
- They’re very high in antioxidants
- Almonds are also known as real beauty food as they are packed with vitamin E, excellent for glowing skin
If you struggle to find healthy snack ideas for your children, make sure to read this post: Healthy snacks for kids or download my free ebook "20 sugar-free snacks for kids" right below this post.
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 ripe mashed bananas + 1 extra banana for decorating
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 180° C or 360° F
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites
- In a food processor mix the egg yolks and honey until light and fluffy. Add all other ingredients except the egg whites (you can also mix this by hand or with a hand-mixer)
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the banana mixture
- Line a loaf pan with some coconut oil and pour the mixture in
Optional: it looks pretty if you slice a whole banana lengthwise in two and put it on top of the cake mixture before baking
- Bake for about 40 minutes (until a knife comes out more or less clean)
- Allow to cool before enjoying