Mmmmmuffins! Who doesn’t love them? Especially when they’re made with just a few healthy ingredients so they don’t leave you with a guilty feeling and bloated belly after eating them.
These pecan muffins are sweet, crunchy, moist, full of healthy protein, gluten free, dairy free, and so irresistible!
In addition they’re super easy to throw together with only five healthy ingredients: almond flour, eggs, pecans, coconut oil, and coconut sugar, mixed together in one bowl.
The unbaked dough is a treat on its own and one of the reasons my kids beg me to make these muffins over and over again…
What is coconut sugar and is it healthy?
Coconut sugar actually comes from the blossoms of the coconut tree that produce a sap that can be processed to create a syrup or honey-like substance, which is then dried to form coconut sugar.
In the words of Dr. Axe, Doctor of Natural Medicine and Clinical Nutritionist: “Coconut sugar is a natural sweetener. It may be more expensive than regular granulated sugar, but it’s worth it, since it yields some tremendous benefits that make it a much better choice than many other sweetener options. For instance, coconut sugar is better for diabetics and the gut than your normal, everyday sugar, and it holds trace amounts of vitamins and minerals.”
Read more about the health benefits of coconut sugar here.
However, it’s always tricky to label a sweetener “healthy” as even the healthiest of them are still sugar and metabolised as such by our body.
Nevertheless, these flourless pecan muffins are totally fine to eat occasionally and are an ideal sweet treat: great in school bags, for picnics, on brunch tables, with warm cacao or tea, and guaranteed to brighten up any party. I frequently serve them at my kids’ birthday parties, and unlike some of the healthier cakes I make, even the most health-unconscious kids love them.
Feel free to add some chocolate chips for extra flavor and indulgence, although I think they’re perfectly fine just the way they are.
In a nutshell, these flourless pecan muffins are great because they’re:
- Refined-sugar free
- Packed with protein & good fats
- Low Carb
- 3 eggs
- 130 g (4.6 oz.) almond flour
- 130 g (4.6 oz.) pecans, roughly chopped
- 70 g (2.5 oz.) coconut sugar
- 70 g (2.5 oz.) coconut oil, melted (but not hot)
- Optional: a pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 160°C or 325° F
- Break the eggs in a large bowl and whisk by hand. Add almond flour, chopped pecans, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, and a pinch of salt
- Scoop the mixture into muffin tins
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are slightly brown
- Allow to cool completely before eating
- Store in an airtight container on the counter up to 3 days, in the refrigerator up to a week or in the freezer up to 3 months.