My kids are fond of this cold soup, and I’m even fonder of watching them gobble down seven raw veggies with a red moustached smile on their face.
Compared to the original gazpacho recipe this one is made with a few extra veggies (zucchini, red beets, and carrots), a fresh orange, and a handful of soaked cashews for extra protein and healthy fats.
You can serve this before dinner, or as a quick and healthy snack, or even as a light lunch topped with whole wheat croutons, feta cheese, and extra raw veggies.
- 200 g ripe tomatoes
- ½ raw beet, unpeeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- ½ cucumber
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/3 zucchini
- A handful soaked cashew nuts (2-12h)
- ½ orange or mandarin
- A few leaves of Basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-2 fresh garlic cloves (not all kids like this)
Toppings: a choice of finely chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, pine nuts, feta, olive oil, whole wheat croutons, fresh herbs, …
Note: Use organic veggies for the best flavor and optimal vitamins and minerals.
- Start by soaking the cashews for 2-12hours. I usually do this the night before.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Taste and adjust by adding more salt and/or pepper if desired.
- Chill before serving or store in an air-tight container for 2-3 days.