This superfood bread is filled with goodness and tastes like a delicious treat. Its flavor is naturally sweet thanks to the bananas, and the texture is moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside. In addition, it has some zucchini in it, which I promise your kids won’t even see or taste.
As a bonus, it’s ready in 5 minutes, and requires just a food processor and mixing bowl.
Is bread unhealthy?
Here’s a question I get asked a lot. I’ve even decided to write a post about it which I’ll be sharing on the blog very soon.
But in short, I can tell you four things about bread.
Bread is ok if:
- You’ve ruled out a gluten intolerance. Which is easier said than done as there are a zillion of small and big health issues that could be caused by an unidentified problem with gluten.
- You don’t eat it daily, and certainly not more than once a day, because even for people without a gluten allergy or intolerance, gluten is a protein that is very hard on the digestive tract.
- You make sure to choose whole wheat bread. And don’t be misled by the brown colour of some so-called healthy multi-grain versions which are almost always made with white flour and sometimes contain colorants to obtain that healthy-looking deep brown colour (sneaky right!).
- You’re making your own bread with a handful of healthy ingredients. It’s really not that difficult nor time-consuming, and the health benefits can be amazing.
Why am I pretty sure your kids will like this superfood bread, just like mine?
I hear you, you’re probably thinking your kids will never eat such a healthy-looking bread alternative.
But this one is different. This one is absolutely kids-friendly. And that’s probably due to the banana in it, which makes it actually taste more like banana bread, a family’s favorite.
Apart from banana, it’s made with eggs, coconut oil, almond flour, oats, four different seeds, and a hidden veggie. Yep, zucchini! It adds some moist and I promise they won’t even taste or see it.
Although it’s delicious as such, we like to have it topped with some almond or peanut butter, or homemade strawberry chia jam.
Recipe slightly adapted from Kiddieliciouskitchen’s Gluten-free Breakfast Loaf.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 40 g (about 4 tbsp.) coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 100 g (5 oz.) grated zucchini (about 1 small or 1/2 large)
- 100 g (1 cup) almond flour
- 100 g (1 cup) oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 60 g (2 oz.) sunflower seeds
- 60 g (2 oz.) pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. flax seeds
- A pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 180° C (360° F).
- Put the mashed bananas, eggs, and melted coconut oil in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (or whisk by hand).
- Pour into a bowl and add all other ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the dough to a bread tin (use silicon or grease with coconut oil) and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container.
- Eat within 5 days or slice and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.