If you think mussels are no dish for children, think again. This nutritious seafood is actually very accessible, and kids love to get their fingers dirty and pull the mussels out of their shell.
This recipe with lime and coconut milk is literally finger-licking delicious and makes an appearance on our family table at least once a month when mussels are in season (September to March). The coconut milk softens the "fishy" taste of the mussels making this particular preparation very kids-friendly.
It’s also super easy to make, ready in a flash, and always creates a cosy dinner atmosphere. I like to serve it with brown rice or sweet potato fries, and I often make a portion of green asparagus or cooked spinach on the side to increase our intake of vegetables. But it all depends on the time I have of course.
Mussels are an excellent protein source full of essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and B12, selenium, iron, manganese, potassium, and zinc. A healthy blend that promotes proper growth, strong bones and a healthy nervous system whilst lowering LDL (bad cholesterol) and boosting immunity and energy.
10 minutes (+ extra for the rice)
- 1 kg or about 35 oz. mussels per person (less for children)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion or a bunch of spring onions
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro to taste
- Side dishes: brown rice, sweet potato fries and/or green veggies
- Start by preparing the rice if making
- Rinse the mussels 3 times in a large bowl of cold water, or in the sink. Then set them aside in a colander
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet (I usually use a large wok pan) and fry the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent
- Add the spices and mussels and cook for about 5 minutes on high while stirring well. Add the coconut milk, cover, and let simmer for a few more minutes until all mussels are open, shaking the pot or stirring from time to time.
- Add the lime juice and cilantro and adjust the taste if needed
- Serve immediately in shallow plates or bowls